Now that July is upon us, most people have started their holiday plans and are getting their operation bikini bodies ready for the beach! Now it’s so important to remember to drink plenty of water while you are exercising this summer especially if you are heading to a destination where it is extremely hot this time of year! Here are some tips to help you get in shape over the summer, stay on track while on holiday and be healthy while doing it!
Top Three Healthy Summer Tips!
1) Stay hydrated – Avoid drinking too much caffeine or coffee/tea in the mornings as that will dehydrate you. Keep your fridge stocked with healthy drinks like juices or even diluted natural juice with water. You should always keep cold water in the fridge so you are more likely to reach for that rather than sodas or coca cola!
2) Keep fit by engaging in sport or swimming! Take advantage of the beach or swimming pool and do early morning laps when the kids are still sleeping. If you do cardio in the morning or in the evening when the sun goes down, you’ll risk over heating and be able to perform better in the exercise and burn more calories. One of our favourite programs reviewed by Yolo Dieting is called the 21 day fix and it is excellent. It combines weight lifting, cardio and yoga/pilates in a condensed program consisting of 30 minute workouts that you do 7 days a week.
3) Find an exercise buddy! If you’re on holiday, you might be going with a bunch of friends or family members. Find someone who will commit to doing a 30 minute run in the morning with you to help combat or reduce the risk of weight gain over your holidays. You want to be able to indulge occasionally and enjoy yourself but not at the risk of undoing all of your progress over the past few months.
4) Avoid drinking too much alcohol and beer although it may be tempting. Stick to small quantities of alcohol mixed with diet drinks or juices. Drink light beer and only one or two glasses of wine if that is your drink of choice. Not only will alcohol make you gain weight, but the next morning you will crave carb-laden foods and the idea of eating an egg white and spinach omelette will probably put you off!
5) Enjoy your holiday and have fun! Weight gain also comes from stress so if you obsess about your weight while on holiday, you might even gain more weight due to the stress. Let yourself have a treat or two a day but in small portions and don’t go overboard. Happy Summer!